a new update version of the Glossary is there! We rebuild everything from scratch - thank's to all your feedback there are plenty of new features and improvements! 300 definitions and counting - how many do you know already?
Tobias & Jérôme
Give it a try and click the highlights
"Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is a molecule that encodes the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms. The basis are the the nucleotides, each composed by either guanine (G), adenine (A), thymine (T), or cytosine(C) as well as a special sugar called deoxyribose (which holds the nucleotides together). A few 10-1.000 nucleotides code for genes, the building instructions of proteins and enzymes, which both create the entire cell's structure as well as the metabolic pathways. The entire DNA in a cell is called genome."Check it out by clicking the highlights
Learn about Synthetic Biology
Why are we building this?
We are the guys from SynBio.info and we are on the mission to bring in more people to the fascinating industry of biotechnology. Our background is software, mechanical engineering and business - so biology was rather new to us in the beginning.
Quickly, we realized the following:
- First, you need to learn the technical language to understand the texts you read, so we built this interactive glossary.
- Second, you need to understand the basics of genetics, learn how you (in general) engineer new living organisms and see, which applications you can build with SynBio.
- Last but not least, we want to help you to get really involved in SynBio - but that's coming soon.
Do you have Feedback?
Please share your thoughts and ideas with us, so we can implement them in the next version:
Do you want to help us?
This is a community project, so everyone is welcome!
- Feel free to add words, just use the + Icon!
- If you have better words to describe a term, just hit the Edit Icon!
- You can help us by spreading the word and using the 'Share buttons'.
- You have more ideas? Just contact us or leave some feedback!
What's new in version 0.9?
- You can now add and edit every term
- Join our Slack Community (link next to the logo), ask questions to experts and keep track of new terms
- You now have a list of all glossary terms
- New functions
- Learn words even in definitions
- Now the videos are ranked according to your votes - the highest voted videos and images are shown first!
- Improved highligher function, faster loading and better compatibility with all websites
What's new in version 0.7?
- Now your learning progess is saved.
- Massively increased performance, since your computer looks up 300 words every time you visit a page, the old version slowed down your computer - not anymore!
- Many more words are highlighted, as we improved the algorithm to highlight words.
- You get this little introduction window so you easily find your way around.
- You can now vote for the best videos and images.
- When you know something funny, you can add this easily to every word.
- Feel free to use the make a wish or report a bug links at the bottom!
- Now the position of the box is where it belongs to. Also, when you click a link that contains a word you can learn, you get to choose what you want to do.
- We updated 100+ definitions and added 20 new words.
What's new in version 0.6?
- Complete redesign
- You can now add words yourself!
- Added 'Learn More' functionality, that leads you to websites that explain the entire concept behind the word.